Expansion joints for piping systems are flexible connectors, made out of PTFE, natural or synthetic elastomers, with combinations of rubber, fabric and metal reinforcement. Expansion joints installed into piping systems will help solve problems such as:
- Stresses - expansion joints absorb movement due to thermal expansion and contraction of pipes, wear, load stresses and settling of supports and foundations
- Misalignment - custom expansion joints can be manufactured with offsets to account for installation errors in pipe alignment, or for movement and settling over time
- Abrasion - with proprietary elastomers such as ABRA-LINE, abrasion can be significantly reduced compared to other rubber or metallic connectors
- Vibration - rubber expansion joints significantly reduce vibration when installed in proper locations and are not subject to metal fatigue failure
- Noise - transmission of sound is reduced as the expansion joint acts as a dampener and absorbs the noise levels
- Shock - effects of pressure surges, water hammer, or pump cavitation are resisted
- Corrosion - no metal to metal contact eliminating electrolysis between dissimilar metals
- Space - greatly reduced space required compared to expansion bends or loops
To select the proper piping expansion joint, it is critical to understand the media compatibility with the materials selected, full temperature, pressure and vacuum ranges, movements required, and dimensions between pipe flanges. With this information, Garlock application engineers can assist in determining the ideal expansion joint for any application.
For critical chemical applications, only Garlock offers a mechanically bonded GUARDIAN FEP Liner, eliminating the common failures of delamination in PTFE lined expansion joints. Available for Style 204 and Style 206 designs.
For abrasive applications, only Garlock offers expansion joints with an ABRA-LINE tube, offering superior abrasion resistance compared to other elastomers. Available for Style 204, Style 206, and Style 7250 designs.
For other applications, Garlock offers a wide variety of elastomers to suit the demands required and can be configured into most Style 204, Style 206, and Style 7250 designs.
Industry standard abrupt arch design for vacuum and pressure applications. Includes standard, High Pressure (HP), Extreme Pressure Service (EPS)...
Eliminates media buildup and reduces fluid turbulence in high-pressure applications.
Molded spherical bellows design for general service applications.
Rubber pipe connectors designed to absorb noise and vibration in air-conditioning, heating, and industrial piping systems.
Style 7706 S-type has been developed specifically for submarine service. Other styles are available per application.
For low-pressure chemical applications.